Friday, May 13, 2005

Do I Still Teach?

Last night in class we sparred. If you read my blog, you know this is one of my favorite things about martial arts. It is amazingly satisfying to see new students begin, watch them learn and grow and then to see them begin to take that training and turn it into something personal to them. One of our black stripes I sparred last night got me really good. Good technique and good speed. Oh and lots of power too! Although I got his technique blocked with my upper forearm, he still managed to glance off that and catch me in the ribs. Great shot. Tremendous bruise on the arm too.

So this begs the question, do I still teach anything? I really feel as though I don't sometimes. I try, I give it my all, but I wonder when you cease being a student's instructor. I learn every single day, every single class. All my students teach me new things; about myself, about how better to teach, about another way to see martial arts.
So, do I still teach others?
I really hope so, although I have little doubts sometimes.
However, I will never stop trying to.

No comments: