Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mom's day to Remember

For this Mother's Day I asked my 70 yr old Mom what she would like. Her response: To go horseback riding. She was who I learned to ride from, as I grew up on the back of a horse. We always had horses and I learned to ride before I could walk.

Since I don't own a horse at this time, I enlisted the help of my friend Kristi whom I was farm-sitting for this very weekend while she and her husband were out of town. Her mare Stormy is the perfect mount and is as bomb-proof and child-proof as they come. Worth her weight in gold as they say. Perfect. Kristi also owns Ace, a dark bay Thoroughbred gelding, whom I could ride along with my mom.

The day started out threatening rain, but cleared off and behaved itself properly. Mom came over and then we drove out to the farm in Farmersville, about 45 min north of where I live. I had left the horses up because of the possible rain and because it was still a bit muddy.

I saddled both horses, Stormy first. Initially we used the western saddle for Stormy but a couple laps in that and my mom wanted the hunter-English saddle. So I changed that out and off we went. Ace was very dashing tacked out in my dressage saddle. Dale and Kristi own a gorgeous piece of 8 acres completely hidden in a border of trees that envelopes the property. They lucked out on finding and buying the property and take immaculate care of it. So the pasture riding was perfect! Ace and Stormy occasionally exchanged flattened ears but otherwise the two get along great. Horses are like bikes, once you really know how to ride them, it comes back.

My mom hasn't really ridden since her horse, Blue, died at the age of 25. He was a gem among horses and is still missed something fierce. That was at least 6 or 7 years ago. However, Mom had no problem getting aboard Stormy, riding around (even managing a trot!!) and having a great time in the process.

There is an adage among horse people; although expensive, they are cheaper than therapy. This has been the best therapy Mom has had in ages. So, we will be trying to duplicate this event fairly regularly. Although a dear friend reminded me to take the camera, I of course, forgot it. But I will be taking pictures next Sun morning. We will be going back as long as Dale and Kristi don't mind us invading!

I hope I am still horse-back at 70. I hope I am still diving, hiking, and generally being crazy at that age. I'll do my best to try. Kudos to my mom. And by the way, she said it was the best Mom's day in along time.

Time...The greatest gift of all.

No comments: