Wednesday, June 29, 2005

New Additions

I added some additions to my beloved fish tank this week. I have a simple 29 gallon fresh water tank that houses my very colorful gold fish. I know, gold fish are not all that exciting to some, but I am endlessly entertained by their antics.

This week I added more plants, as the gold fish eat almost anything in their tank, another rock cluster and a little friend to help out with the algae. I have a Rubber lip Plecostomus! I have wanted one for a while now. This one will grow to only 5 inches as opposed to the bristlenosed plecos that get really big and grow frighteningly fast.

He (or she??) is about 1.5 inches long and is gray with iridescent tiny white dots all over! So cute! And FAST. My goldies dwarf him and so he can be found scooting along the glass in an effort to avoid contact with my other four babies. One issue I have already noticed; the gold fish, being gluttonous pigs, LOVE the algae wafers that are supposed to be for my pleco. So I have to time feeding so that the goldies are at the top and the wafer can actually get to the bottom of the tank.

It is so much fun to sit and watch all the behavior. The goldies investigating the pleco as the swim past. The pleco scooting this way and that in a vain effort to stay out of the way. I'm sure everyone will settle down soon. Until then, I have much entertainment!! Only as long as I stay up....The pleco is nocturnal. Finding him in the day is, well, the proverbial needle in a haystack.

No comments: