Friday, July 08, 2005

The Therapy of Writing

I have been a journal keeping person for as long as I can remember. Before I knew how to write, I kept sketch books of my favorite animals involved in a variety of scenarios. Drawing was a passion too. I came across this interesting article regarding Writing therapy. I have always know that writing in its varying forms was very therapeutic, it is what helped me survive my childhood, but I am always excited to read about science backing up my personal experience. I also have not always been very good at communication. Some would say I am still abysmal in this department. But writing offers the opportunity to take those thoughts and words and tether them to the page, make them be still and look at them; examine them.

Then, you can throw them away, keep them, burn them, do what you want. Because now it is your choice. I think for me, writing about things always gave me a level of control over my thoughts. Very grounding.

No comments: