Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Commuting via Bike

Since I have recently changed jobs, I now am close enough to bike to and from work. I commuted via bike in college and loved it. Since I am not a morning person by any stretch, that 7:30AM English class (eeewww!) was made easier by my having spent 30 minutes on a bike...I was awake!!

My new job requires that I be there all chipper by 8. Yes, to the regular world, this is boring. But this is really difficult for those of us who spring to life with boundless energy at 10:30 PM. 8AM is torture....
So, I believe a 20 minute bike ride will a)make me be awake and b) help combat that whole sitting still thing that I am still not used to.

Currently I am borrowing my friend's mountain bike. I think I have to have a hybrid. Once I am comfortable riding that for a while, I may switch to a road bike. Speed is so cool. I will keep you posted.

Since I am a bike nincompoop, any help or suggestions on bike shopping and how NOT to spend a bloody fortune would be appreciated!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa--
I'm very excited about your new bike commute. In grad school when I was too poor to own a car, I once tried to go to the drive in on my bike (they wouldn't let me in).
If you're within 5-10 miles, a hybrid might do it for you. for longer, you'll definitely want a road bike. You can find them used. Richardson Bike Mart is pretty proud of their used bikes, though.
Let me know when you'd like to do a weekend bike trip--and I'll twist Karen's arm and make it a party.
--Rob