Saturday, October 29, 2005

Tournament Day.

Today our martial arts organization had its annual tournament. It is always a small, ‘family’ tournament. So it is a good experience the whole way around for everyone. I and my fellow judges were responsible for judging the 9-11 year old division. They are all divided up into rank divisions.

I have never liked judging whether it be kata or kumite. I just feel as though I am not very good at it. It takes a quick eye and lots of attention when things get too fast. Also, it is really foreign to me. We don’t spar for points in our school, we more free spar until someone says stop. So, I don’t feel like I have the experience to judge the whole competition.

Even though judging is not my favorite thing, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I don’t want to do it again anytime soon, but it wasn’t horrible. It was generally a good experience.

Fortunately, most parents take the tournament just as they should; fun with just an edge of competition. Thankfully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And it's always great to see the other A-Kato black belts. It's a small community with a lot of bonding.
--Rob