Monday, January 23, 2006

So, how does this help me??

I ask, what possible biological and evolutionary benefit did PMS hold for evolving woman-kind? As a scientist, I believe the majority of our biology evolved because of a benefit it gave us or our offspring.

How would being moody and irritable at one particular time of the month and then affectionate and happy the next only to transition into “please, can I kill something that fights back?” and then weeping about the whole thing later possibly have been of evolutionary benefit? Or, were pre-Homo sapien females not troubled by these crazy hormonally driven behaviors? Surely they were…

We are exactly what our hormones dictate us to be. And, to be really honest, it is a pain in the posterior being female at times. Your logical brain knows what is causing your particular behaviors at the time, but that primal, emotional part of you just seems to tell that logical part where to go and exactly what it can do to itself.

Sigh…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so, God created Mr. Proctor's house on Monday nights, and it was good.

With all those huge men, it just wouldn't be the same without a good ole dose of PMS for the both of us. And a shot of Beauty and the Beast for me.


I still cannot believe I broke her nose.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's not a benefit but just a 'why not.' Guys aren't fussy so it doesn't interfere with breeding. And doesn't PMS only happen when you're not fertile? So, it's a warning to go bother some other woman who just might be.

I can believe Halleh broke someone's nose. A couple of times, I've had to rub my own to make sure it was still there.
--Rob