Sunday, May 11, 2008

Forward is the best direction….

We have a saying in nursing; If you mess up, fess up. I have applied this to my everyday life over the course of my nursing instruction. It illustrates the obvious; really, what good is any experience in life, unless you learn from it? The most egregious errors one makes with the most painful of results are always the most instructive if one only faces them and learns from said error. Pain is an excellent teacher. I am old enough to know that nothing nor any person is perfect. Perfection is a direction one strives for, knowing its possession is always out of grasp.

With mistakes, whether they are in work, person relationships, balancing your checkbook or whatever, growth as a person can come from any error. “Failing is just an opportunity to learn,” a quote often used and perfectly stated. But what of the people whom continue to make the same mistakes, choosing the same behavior repeatedly, regardless the outcome? Of the truly painful errors on my part, I will never repeat again, having learned volumes and having said errors define my person – for the better in my opinion. What makes others continue along that same erroneous path? Why not ask “Why” something happened instead of just plodding along, thinking, “Well, I’m gonna do that again, done it before…I’m sure it is still a bad idea…”

Mistakes are an opportunity to look really long and hard in the mirror and grow. Is growth really so frightening? Painful, without doubt, but I’d rather learn about the fire once, than get repeatedly burned.

So as I enter my life as a nurse and continue life personally my mantra is stead fast: if you mess up, fess up!! I just get to learn something new…

No comments: