Thursday, October 21, 2010

Another Phase in Life

September 22, 2010 my mother passed away. Her health had declined rapidly over the last two months prior to her passing, but still, it took myself and my four other siblings by surprise.
There was just that call, "I am so sorry, but I have to inform you that your mother passed away earlier today."
In our shock, sometimes are responses can be almost comical as was my brother's, "What, you mean she didn't fall out of her wheelchair??"

I have to wave the flag of gratitude as my siblings and I were all on the same page as to what Mom wanted and what her last wishes were. One task that was largely painless.

There are many feelings I did not anticipate with her being gone. The major one is how much of an orphan I feel like. My father has been dead for many years, 19 to be exact. My mom had mentally been absent for many years what with her late stage dementia. But she's just gone now. It is different in a way a did not anticipate.

Truthfully, my family and I are grateful that her end was quick and without some extended hospital stay. Although her skilled nursing care facility was top-notch and beautifully run, it still was not her own home. We all hated that fact for her and we are certain she did as well.

At any rate, life seems to march on regardless.

No comments: