Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wherever You Go, There You Are

Why is it so impossible for most people to be happy 'where they are?' How is it that no matter how well an individual is doing, often times, there is this constant, I need more, I want more, this is not enough.

Is it the constant deluge of advertising? The ever-present magazine covers showing all the stuff you need in order to fit in or be accepted? That sense of lacking and incompleteness seems to seep into our everyday existence with the stealth of the latest military stealth bomber.

I have to wonder this because I am generally one of the happiest people I know an I don't have all that stuff. I don't even have cable. I have a few other friends who also believe, "You make your own happiness." This is true.

Is happiness a choice? Do you craft it out of an appreciation of much needed rain, the fact your car is paid for AND still runs well, or just that you have a roof over your head that does not leak regardless of the size of that roof?

It seems that our lives have become so fast paced we have no time but for looking forward so as not to trip over the next obstacle, but yet no time to reflect, turn around and look behind us - to be grateful for how far we have come, how much we have accomplished.

You can wish this, wish that, wish, wish, wish, but really, in the end, wherever you go, there you are.
You have to learn to be at peace with that.

No comments: