Saturday, October 23, 2010

To Begin Again

I have recently (and finally!!) found a new martial arts program. It is training with people I have trained with before but who are developing a new style.

MaruDo is the style name and it most resembles a combination of traditional Japanese Karate and Ike Jujitsu. Weapons will be incorporated as well but it will be later. The Ike I knew would take forever to learn, but I still love it. The Karate I knew would be different but I thought might be easier to get on board with.
But, alas, I am wrong.

Having to retrain and unlearn 10+ years of muscle memory is a pain in the butt. It is coming along but a constant vigilance is required in order to learn and unlearn. Not to mention getting all of those muscles back in that kind of shape! Every class leaves me drenched in sweat and sore for a couple days after.
I totally love it.

I really am enjoying this new style because of how it incorporates many different aspects of the many branches of martial arts. The Karate half mandates that the body be a whole piece (very Tai Chi), moving in a continually connected fashion both physically and psychologically. The power you can generate when you “get it” is fantastic, but it is hard to do when 10 years is arguing against you! It feels so fluid and lighting fast, it is just going to take slow, steady practice to get there.

But that’s OK, as I am a patient woman. Anything requiring sweat, personal growth and perseverance matched with continually sore muscles is my cup of tea, and yes, my cup is empty.

No comments: