Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Comfort of Furry Friends

I am house sitting for friends as they are away visiting family for the holidays. I have house sat for them before and it is always a great time. They have two cats and two dogs. The kitties are low key and affectionate... very cute! Their dogs are a basenji and a basenji mix.

Although I love all critters great and small, I have gotten especially close with one of their dogs, Tino, the full basenji. Both are rescues and Tino had experienced a rough life prior to his rescue to the house of wonderful love and care. So there is some baggage. But he is so much improved since I first met him and it is so wonderful to watch as he learns to trust again and take that leap-of-faith that this human will be different. That this time, no one is going to hurt him.

This time he's right.

So it is really special when he comes over to me, looks at me with those eyes that have way more intelligence than little doggy eyes should have and wordlessly asks, "So, can I get in your lap....Please?"
By all means.
Of course it gets a little better when he makes those contented little dog sounds, stretches, and rolls over in my lap so that I can rest a hand across his shoulders.
Trust.
Finally.
A belongingness for us both.

They give so much to us, these little furry friends, I was happy to be the couch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet! I have tears. Tino has the biggest heart with the most guarded exterior and it's wonderful to know he's making friends who love him. Thank you for loving our four-legged babies when we're gone!