Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Here and Now

My second degree black belt test is coming up in November. (That is just way too fast!)

Tai Chi is what I have chosen to do as my specialty for my second degree. I have been learning this art for almost three years now and I still suck at it. But it is a way of life.

One of the things I am going to attempt to discuss with some level of aplomb is how Tai Chi has taught me to slow down. Not just physically, although that definitely has benefits, but more so mentally.

Tai Chi is so darn complicated that there comes a point where you realize you are doing nothing but breathing and trying to move correctly. Your body also learns to crave that type of all-engaging moving meditation. It is as if we humans were really created for Tai Chi.

I find that my mind can actually succeed at doing nothing but the here and now...This one moment in time. I can actually find moments when I am not thinking of what I did a half a second ago and I am unconcerned with what to do next.
I just have to do this right now.
Just this.
What ever 'this' is at the moment.

It is such a relief to be able to do that, find the off button for my brain.

So it is the discipline of the core that has been most educational.

I love it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock.

Anonymous said...

Well, yes. You do rock. And I'm sure your t'ai chi lecture is going to be fascinating. But you know you're going to show the rest of us up, right??? Maybe you should make a few mistakes to make us look better.

Just kidding. I'm looking forward to hearing your talk.

Rob