Monday, October 10, 2005

Difference in Learning and Teaching by Gender

I was paid a very meaningful complement by two of my Kobudo (Weapons Class) students. I hold a first degree black belt in Kobudo, Japanese Weapons, and I most often assist in teaching as do the other Shodans.

Two of my female students told me after class that they liked getting me as an instructor because they felt like my explanations and style sunk in more. They explained that as a woman, they felt like they got more information in a format they could understand. Obviously, I was touched beyond words.

But it is an important point, men and women learn so differently. Especially in something so "male" as martial arts. Usually the arts are associated with 'strong', 'tough' and 'power', adjectives that women often aren't very familiar with in a physical nature.

Yet, women still have an advantage in weapons training. Since we can't muscle the weapon, we have no choice but to use technique, finesse and correctness to get the job done. We must use the assets we have; strong muscles is not on the list.

It's OK if some things are 'off the list'.....

So, the arts as well as learning them or anything else, is so different between the genders. So interesting to see how our biology precludes our seeing and perceiving the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a woman, but I like the way you teach because you are accepting. Things aren't bad (and don't stink), they can just be made better. I guess I don't handle criticism well--I'm good enough at dishing it out to myself. Something my father taught me, I think.
--Rob