Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Technology: More or less?

After struggling with a virus at work, not being able to open my excel file that has MOUNTAINS of my data in it, fumbling with the new phone system at work and generally trying to get different software packages to work together (they don't always play well with others!), I thought, does technology add to or take away from our lives?

It begs the question; technology was supposed to improve our lives, has it?

It's advances were supposed to give us more time, help lower our stress, organize us and help stream-line or work.

One of the things I see occurring is that we are more pressed for time and have less true unavailability. We all have a cell phone with us. Pagers. Blackberry.

We are becoming so 'available' because of the electronic leash. Or leashes as the case may be.

I think we are supposed to be "out of pocket" as my grandmother always says. I think our technology has outstripped our humanity. I don't think that is a good think either.

As a good friend of mine has recently been reminding me....

Balance.

That is what we all need. We need to tip the scales back the other way.

Thanks for the reminder.

No comments: