Sunday, July 17, 2005

And They're Off!!

I had a work birthday outing this past Friday to Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie. I invited another horsey friend along to enjoy the fun.

As she is a quicker blogger than I, she has already blogged about it. But I'll add my two cents in as well!!
Absolutely the weather played havoc with our arrival and my leaving my hat in the car was a true travesty. I have to wear it to work this Monday to show everyone which hat is was!! I do have quite the collection.

Once we were fed and watered appropriately, it was time to assess the gorgeous thoroughbreds and place bets accordingly. For me, in order to do this, I have to go and see, smell and examine the horses. Their grooms walk them past naked at first, then, in the appropriately numbered tacking stalls, they are tacked up for everyone to see. This is the best time to assess each horses mental state. If they are already too worked up, it's no good. I always look for alert, quite and attentive. I like to see the grooms gently fawning on them. I also assess stride over reach (how far ahead of the front hoof print the hind hoof print falls; the bigger the distance the better). Lastly, I assess overall conformation (hip and shoulder angles) and any discernible gait imbalances.

Then, I bet based on the horses attributes and barn, jockey and trainer records.

I love it!! The track is to die for fun!! Nothing quite like a horse race. Especially when one comes from behind to challenge the leader in the last couple furlongs.... Whew!!

And the people watching/listening is premier!
When I left I was ahead almost double my money....I can't wait to go back!

No comments: