Wednesday, April 13, 2005

You are your environment

Tuesday night I got home to find one of my adopted sister all in a funk. She and her fiance are in the process of renovating their home. The kitchen is a major deal as the appliances are from the Mesozoic Era. She was frustrated and didn't know why....I suggested we do something to cure the funk. Her major gripe is the millennia or two old microwave in the kitchen. So, since I really like to demolish stuff, I took the built in apart and we removed the old microwave (sooo heavy!) and went on an 11PM excursion to Walmart (more on that place at 11PM later...). Found microwave, cleaned vent-a-hood and installed. We also rearranged the kitchen. We both felt so much better from doing something about the surroundings. Just doing that little 2.5hrs worth of work resulted in a better organized, more functional space. And a microwave that won't give us all cancer.

Bottom line, we are our surroundings. If your surroundings are in a state that is incongruent with your internal state; or at least the state you are used to being in, then major discord results. Just like my adopted sister, she didn't make the connection of why she was so grumpy and short tempered to the fact her space was not what she wanted. Doing something about it really made a difference.

And, I got to take something apart!

No comments: