Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Completely different and yet the same

I started a new job last week. I have been in the academic scientific research field for 11 years. I have a degree in molecular biology and experience in tissue culture, HIV virology, protein chemistry and cellular immunology. All of it very, very cool. In science there is a distinct methodology. You have a question, you research what is known about said question, decide from that background why you think it does what it does and then design experiments to extricate information that will illustrate which way you need to go next. The most important part is the question and an open mind. Oh, and the details. Make sure the data is telling you what you have perceived.

My new job is, in the words of Monty Python; "Now for something completely different."

My company is an economic and demographic research corporation. We research whether cities and businesses can both benefit if specific types of businesses move into specific city areas.

Lots of detail.
Very specific questions.
And an open mind must be had by all to 'hear' what the data is truly telling you.

Hhmmm. Sounds very familiar. In fact, the methodologies are the same. The level of detail is the same. It's great. I am such a nerd..Or is it geek??? I can never keep those straight.

Anyway, It's cool and different and yet the same. The up side is if I need to go I can hit "SAVE" and go; I can work from home on occasion.

The down side: I miss the way-cool really expensive toys. $135K microscopes are way cool. Watching cells differentiate into neurons because you inserted a different gene is way cool.

Oh...The real up side???
It's 13 minutes from home.
And the people are great.

No comments: