Friday, May 13, 2005

Registration Hell

As my pursuit for higher education, or at least a career change, continues, I am always amazed at how difficult getting an education is.

I have to take a college Algebra class for my prerequisites. Basic College Algebra. I have had up through two years of Calculus. All from Richland, where I am trying to take this algebra class now. But lo and behold...the online registration says, "You have not met your prerequisites for this class. Please contact advising." Thus, the system would not let me register.
@@!!@@##
So, in desperation, I contacted the registrars' office. The registrars' office then directed me to the advising line. Of course, with it being registration right now, the recorded message suggested I register online. Wish I could, been there, tried that.
So I called the advising appointment line. I asked if the person I was speaking with could help me. The work-study student on the phone was very helpful but lacked the authority to assist me. This took 10 minutes to bring to light. She then transferred me to her advising director.

Finally, this woman was able to assist me. Consequently, we pulled up the class listings and found there was only one space left for the online math class I wanted.
Whew!!
She registered me while I was on the phone so I would get the spot. Now all I have to do is pay for it. So glad that is over with.
By the skin of my teeth....

Education should be a little easier to do, don't you think? The one thing that can improve society as a whole should be more straight forward to obtain.
At least I got it done.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
My mantra for life.

No comments: