Friday, May 13, 2005

Humanity

I just finished watching Apollo 13 for the upteenth time.
What happened to the ingenuity and perseverance of humanity? Where has it gone? I know it still exists, but why isn't it the majority? What direction has our society gone that so buries the desire to excel? I see this movie and wonder, could we do this today? Could we work at something that seems all odds are against and still pull it off because, "...Failure is not an option..."?
I think that element is our reality. If you decide that a particular option no longer exists, does that make it really gone? Is our humanity just simply a stream of choices, or better still, a stream of choices not made? Because to not make a choice, is a choice.

In this movie, people team together to pull off what appears to be the impossible. It just occurred to me, what is impossible? I think our mind is what defines our possibilities.

Parachutes and minds are alike, they work best when open.

Our society needs some more open minds.

No comments: