Sunday, May 22, 2005

A Day at the Faire

Scarborough Faire

A friend and I went to Scarborough Faire this Saturday. It is a renaissance festival held in Waxahachie, Texas every year during the months of April and May. The weather was perfect, being a fine blue sky with just a hint of puffy white clouds that lumbered through the sky. A little more breeze would have made it perfect.
The food is always spectacular, my choices this year being fried mushrooms and steak-on-a-stick. I am extremely fond of hats and there is this one particular hat shoppe (The Hat People) that I cannot seem to escape. This year was no different. I have added 2 new hats to my collection, both of which will make their debut this week I’m sure. I’ll try and post pictures later. Generally the people-watching is the best reason to attend the Faire. The festival attracts all kinds and one can really see a cross-section of society. The people who don’t use sun-block never cease to amaze me. You always see some folks baring skin that hasn’t seen sunlight in several years…and no sun-block. Typically you begin to recognize these people throughout the day and you can systematically watch them begin to bake. Ouch! I feel for them the next day.

The festival always reminds me of how nice it is that we women can wear lighter clothing now. I think I would die if I had to wear all those layers bound up by a corset in the dead of summer and work outside. And why did men give up the kilt?? I think these are really attractive on men and they have got to be cooler! Practicality should drive most all fashion. However, I obviously don’t design clothes for a living…

If you have never attended the Faire, I recommend it. It is very much fun and a great day of being outside. Bring lots of water and for goodness sake…Sunblock!!

1 comment:

Jen said...

You're a hat up on me! I only bought one in New Orleans. Can't wait to see the new chapeaus.